Making alterations and improvements to your home

If you are thinking about making alterations or improvements to your home, check the permissions you need to seek first.

It’s your right to make alterations and improvements to your JRHT home, but you must seek permission from your Housing Officer before doing so. You can do this by phone or in writing, but you must have written confirmation of permission before you begin work.

When you decide to leave your JRHT home, you could be entitled to financial compensation for the cost of making the alterations or improvements.

If you carry out any work without clear permission you could be found in breach of tenancy. In extreme cases this could lead to legal action and JRHT taking possession of your home.

Contact your Housing Officer