Swap a home

If you’re looking to move to a different location or just need a bit more space, you can apply to swap your JRHT home with another resident who lives in social housing. This process is also known as mutual exchange.

Who is eligible?

If you are a secured or assured tenant, you can apply to swap your home, following approval from both landlords.

You can only exchange homes with other social housing residents, not with someone who lives in private rented accommodation. The swap can involve just two residents as a direct exchange, or it can involve several residents making it a multi-way swap.

How to swap

  • You’ll need to find someone willing to swap homes with you. The official online service to this is HomeSwapper. Here you can list your home for free, browse other listings and start the exchange process.
  • Once you find a home, arrange a visit to help you decide if the home is suitable for you and if any repairs are needed before you swap.
  • If you decide to proceed with the swap, contact us to get a mutual exchange form.
  • Complete the form and send it back to us at JRHT. Both parties in the exchange must submit the mutual exchange form to their current landlord.

We’ll review your form and let you know if your application has been approved or not.

How long does the process take?

We are legally required to notify you of our decision to approve or decline your home exchange application within 42 days after we receive your completed form.

If we decided to decline your application, we will explain our reasons in writing. The reasons for not approving applications are set out in legislation.

Contact us

For help with swapping your home you can contact your Housing Officer or contact the Customer Access Team 0800 5870211 or information@jrht.org.uk.