Paying rent and service charges


Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust is committed to addressing poverty by providing high quality housing and services that are affordable and minimise financial difficulty.

When and how to pay your rent and service charges

When and how to pay your rent and service charges

Rents are charged on a monthly basis. On some of our schemes such as retirement and sheltered housing you may also have to pay a service charge in addition to your rent. The amount charged varies on a scheme by-scheme basis, depending on the services provided.

Your rent/service charges are due in advance, at the beginning of each monthly rent period. It is important that you pay your rent/service charges on time. It is especially important that you contact us immediately if you are facing any financial difficulties and are consequently falling behind on your rent/service charge payments. Failure to pay your rent/service charges is a breach of your tenancy agreement and could result in you losing your home. For more information and help with your finances, see our money, benefits and debt advice page.

You can pay your rent and charges by the following methods:

  • online at
  • at your local post office by cash, cheque or debit card. If paying by cheque make it payable to Post Office Ltd. You will need your ALLPAY card to make a payment;
  • at any Paypoint outlet by cash or cheque. Cheques are only accepted at the discretion of the outlet. You will need your ALLPAY card to make a payment
  • by Direct Debit or Standing Order
  • by post – send a cheque or postal order to The Garth. Please make the cheque payable to ‘The Joseph Rowntree Housing Trust’. Please put your name and address on the back of the cheque or postal order. If you have an ALLPAY card, please enclose this with your payment and this will be returned to you by post with your receipt.
Rent arrears

Rent arrears

If you fail to pay your rent/service charges on time we will contact you asking you to bring your account up to date. If you do not bring your account up to date, or fail to stick to an arrangement to clear the outstanding debt, we will contact you again to remind you of the necessity to make payment otherwise you will be at risk of losing your home. If you still do not make payment we will serve a Notice of Seeking Possession (see your tenancy agreement). This is the first step in legal possession proceedings. If we have not reached a payment agreement with you by the time the Notice of Seeking Possession comes into force, we can start legal proceedings in the county court to take possession of your home.

As an anti-poverty landlord, we are committed to doing all that we can to avoid taking possession of your home. You must therefore always respond to any communication from us regarding your arrears in order for us to be able to help you.

If you are unable to make your rent/service charge payments we urge you to:

  • contact us as soon as possible. It is important that you do so before your debt gets out of control;
  • reach an agreement with us to pay the arrears off;
  • keep to any repayment agreement you reach with us;
  • keep us informed if your situation changes.
Owing us money

Owing us money at the end of your tenancy

We expect your rent/service charge to be paid up to date when your tenancy ends. If you move out owing rent and do not repay it, we will take legal action.