If you wish to end your tenancy or lease, please contact us. We will send you a termination of tenancy form. You must fill it in and return to us as soon as possible. We will write to confirm the date your tenancy will end. The four-week notice period starts on the Monday following the receipt of your form. All tenancies end on a Sunday.
You are responsible for paying the full rent until the end of the notice period. This applies even if you move out before the end of the notice period.
The condition of your property
We will send you a copy of our property standard. You may be charged if your home does not meet this standard when you leave. This will cover the cost of any work needed to bring it up to standard.
We will also arrange to visit you in your home to undertake a tenancy termination visit. During this we will further advise you on your responsibilities.
You should hand in all keys to your home at one of our offices. These are the Garth in New Earswick, Plaxton Court in Scarborough, and Hartfields in Hartlepool.
You should hand in your keys no later than 12 noon on the Monday after your tenancy has ended. If we do not receive all the keys on time, you are responsible for further rent until we receive them.
Inspecting your property
Once you have handed in your keys, we will undertake a full property inspection. This will ensure that your property meets our property standard so it can be let out to a new resident.
To avoid being charged for any work, it is important that before vacating your home you:
- Leave it clean and tidy and in good order.
- Remove any furniture, carpets or rubbish.
- Cut back and clear the garden.
- Remove any of your own fittings which you installed whilst you occupied the property.
- Undertake any repair work for which you were responsible. To ensure that the property meets the property standard (a copy of this will be provided).
- Remove any out buildings such as sheds or greenhouses and reinstate the garden, where appropriate.
Things that you could be charged for include:
- Clearing and cleaning the property.
- Decorating the property.
- Putting right any damage that was the result of misuse or negligence.
- Replacing original fittings (such as doors).
If you leave any of your belongings in the property, you will be charged the cost of disposing of them.
Gas, electric and water readings
You are responsible for taking the gas, electric and water meter readings before you vacate your property. You will need to provide the suppliers with the date you are leaving the property and your forwarding address.
Please hand in your gas card and electric meter key (if you have one) when you vacate the property. Otherwise you will be charged for the cost of replacing them. You must also leave a copy of the Gas Safety Record for the new tenants.
You should arrange with the post office to re-direct your mail to your new address. We will not forward any letters to you at your new address. We will not tell the new resident your forwarding address.