Complaints, compliments and comments

JRF/JRHT are committed to providing good-quality services. When our service is not as good as it should be, we want to know about it so we can put things right. On the other hand, we’re always happy to hear when people like what we do.

Our complaints promise

We aim to:

  • deal with your complaint quickly
  • handle all complaints fairly, impartially, professionally and objectively
  • investigate the issues thoroughly
  • keep you informed about the progress and outcomes of your complaint
  • resolve your complaint where possible
  • use your feedback to improve the way services are delivered.

How to make a complaint

You can talk to a member of staff directly; contact our Customer Services Team or our Complaints Officer to make a complaint at any time. You can register a complaint in person, by telephone, by letter, by email or via our website.

You can ask us for help or support with our procedure at any time.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is anything that has caused you to be dissatisfied about the service you have received from JRF/JRHT or someone acting on our behalf.

In some cases, you might not think something is a complaint but when we look into it, we may think it should be dealt with through our complaints process. We will advise you of our decision before taking any further action.

What is not a complaint?

A lot of the comments we get from residents, other customers and the public are not complaints but requests for service that are dealt with through our normal work. These requests are tracked and help us to improve our services.

We hope that most requests can be addressed in this manner. However, if you do not think your concerns have been addressed satisfactorily you are welcome to use our complaints procedure.

Responding to and dealing with your complaint

We will take all reasonable steps to fully understand what has happened.

Whilst all cases will be treated in confidence, in the rare case that this is not possible, we will discuss this with you before taking further action.

We have a two stage complaints process:

  1. A suitable member of staff investigates your complaint.
  2. If we did not manage to resolve your complaint, a more senior member of staff will investigate further.

Complaints that are considered to be very serious or complex (for example a complaint against the chief executive or a trustee) may, in exceptional circumstances, be considered immediately at stage 2 and may require the appointment of an independent person to deal with the complaint.

Complaints about a member of staff will be dealt with by a more senior member of staff.

The two stages of our complaints process

Stage 1: Making your complaint

Within two working days of us receiving your complaint, we will acknowledge your complaint in writing, detailing your complaint in full and clarifying what we need to investigate further. We will tell you when you can expect a full reply and the name of the person dealing with your complaint.

We aim to give you a full reply within five working days. Usually we can do this, but it may take longer if your complaint is complicated. If this happens, we will let you know within five working days explaining why a full reply will take longer; what we are doing to deal with your complaint and when you can expect an answer.

If we agree that the matter you have complained about is our fault, we will apologise and try to put things right as soon as we can. If we disagree or cannot put things right, we will tell you why and give you a full explanation of the course of action we have taken.

Stage 2: Making an appeal

If you are not happy with our reply at Stage 1, please contact us:

Tel: 01904 615950
Letter: Complaints Officer, JRF/ JRHT, The Homestead, 40 Water End, York, YO30 6WP

You should explain why you are not happy with our reply and what action you think we should take. We will acknowledge your request within five working days.

We will ask a suitable senior member of staff to take a fresh look at your complaint and carry out an investigation.

If the investigation finds that you had good reason to complain, we will apologise and take action to put things right as soon as possible. If the senior member of staff upholds our original decision you will be given a full explanation of the reason why.

We aim to give you a full reply, setting out our decision, within 15 working days. Usually, we can do this but it may take longer if your complaint is complicated. If this happens, we will let you know within 15 working days, explaining why a full reply will take longer; what we are doing to deal with your complaint and when you can expect an answer.

How complaints improve our service delivery

We carefully track all complaints; any actions that are taken are reviewed to help us improve our service and learn from any mistakes we make.

Comments, compliments and suggestions

You may have a comment or suggestion about a service you have received, that is not in the nature of a complaint, or you may wish to pay us a compliment. We will consider all feedback we receive and decide if any further action is necessary.

If you want to make a comment or suggestion about our services, please contact us

Where you can find further information

For complaints relating to service delivery

Housing Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange Square, London, E14 9GE

Tel: 0300 111 3000


For complaints about rent levels, service charge or leasehold valuations

First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber), 1st Floor, Piccadilly Exchange, Piccadilly Plaza, Manchester. M1 4AH

Tel: 0161 237 9491


For complaints about Care Services

Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH

Tel: 0300 061 0614


Care Quality Commission

Our service is registered with and regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC cannot get involved in individual complaints about providers, but is happy to receive information about our services at any time. You can contact the CQC at:

CQC National Customer Service Centre, Citygate, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne. NE1 4PA

Tel: 03000 616161


Charity Commission

Charity Commission, PO Box 211, Bootle, L20 7YX


Local authority contacts

York area

City of York Council, Adult Social Care Team, West Offices, Station Rise, York. YO1 6GA

Tel: (01904) 555111

Fax: (01904) 554055


Scarborough area

Health and adult services, FREEPOST DL76, North Yorkshire County Council, County Hall, Northallerton. DL7 8BR

Tel: 0800 515875


Hartlepool area

Child and Adult Services, Hartlepool Borough Council, Civic Centre, Victoria Road, Hartlepool, TS24 8AY.

Tel: 01429 523390


East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Adult Care Services, County Hall, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17 9BA

Tel: (01482) 393939


Making a complaint