Help with the cost of your council tax bill
Your council tax is administered by your local council and covers the cost of services provided by the council - refuse collection, recycling, and street lighting to name just a few. Your council also contributes to the police, fire service and maintenance of the public highways from your council tax.
If you are on a low income or claim benefits, you could be eligible for the council tax reduction scheme (formerly known as ‘council tax benefit’). Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.
You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.
What you get depends on:
- where you live - each council runs its own scheme
- your circumstances (e.g.income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
- your household income - this includes savings, pensions, and your partner’s income.
- if your children live with you
- if other adults live with you
Visit https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction for more information and you can also check the details with your local council.
Your local authority council tax reduction scheme below:
Help with your water bill
If you are worried about your water bill, it is important to get advice and help. Contact Yorkshire Water and visit their website to find out more about the help available.