According to Yorkshire Water, people putting the wrong thing down their toilets and sinks causes around 40% of all blockages in Yorkshire’s sewers. These blockages can cause serious issues in your home or impact on your neighbours. Read our top tips for looking after your drains and helping to avoid blockages.
To make sure your drains don’t get blocked, avoid putting these things down the sink or toilet:
- Grease and cooking fat
- Wet wipes and paper towels
- Sanitary products
- Coffee grounds and other waste food
- Dental floss
- Remember Yorkshire’s Water handy rule for how to prevent your toilet getting blocked. Only flush the three Ps: Pee, Poo and Paper
- ‘Flushable’ wipes aren’t good for your drain, so put these in the bin instead of down the toilet
- Your local council will have information on its website about how to dispose of household waste safely, including clinical and medical waste
If you think you may have a drain blockage, please contact the Customer Access Team on 0800 587 0211 or at [email protected] Your local council is responsible for dealing with flooding from public drains.