Parks, Open Spaces, Trails and Leisurely Walks
For those who like outdoor play, there are plenty of parks and open spaces to enjoy in York and North Yorkshire. Take a picnic and spend a day in the great outdoors with family or friends.
More information about opening times, things to do and copies of tree trails are here:
- Rowntree Park https://www.facebook.com/friendsrowntreepark/
- Homestead Park https://www.jrht.org.uk/about-us/homestead-park
- New Earswick tree trail https://yorkcivictrust.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/New-Earswick-Tre...
A full list of parks and open spaces in York and Scarborough can be found here
Live in York or fancy a day trip, The Rowntree Society have created 5 walking routes covering the City centre, Clifton, Haxby and New Earswick. These give a sense of the Rowntree family’s origins, businesses and their history in York. Download or order your copy here https://www.rowntreesociety.org.uk/rowntree-now/publications/rowntree-wa...
Day at the Seaside
Fancy a trip further afield visit https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/things-do-north-yorkshire for days out in North Yorkshire, and no summer is complete without a day out at the seaside for information about the fabulous Yorkshire coast line and evading the crowds check out https://www.yorkshire.com/places/yorkshire-coast.
Indoor Activities: Virtual Groups and Home Activities
For those who prefer crafts and indoor activities or for those inevitable rainy days, here are some great home-based activities:
- ‘Shine’ has access to virtual groups, crafts and activities for children and young people https://www.yor-ok.org.uk/young-people/shine-new.htm
- Silly Squad summer reading challenge 2020 with Explore York https://www.exploreyork.org.uk/children/summer-reading-challenge/
- Virtual art galleries for children, visit 7 world class museums from your front room https://www.kitchentableclassroom.com/best-virtual-gallery-tours/#more-3861
For general activities, Mumbler, the online parenting community hosts a comprehensive list of what’s on and things to do for free and there is one for every area visit https://www.mumbler.co.uk and search for your area.
What’s your favourite family day out?
What’s your favourite family day out? Share your recommendations with us email [email protected] or post on facebook JRHT.