Number of Homes 481
Tenure Type Social Rent, Shared ownership and private ownership
Originally a partnership development initiative between City of York Council and JRF – JRHT. A shared vision for an exemplar scheme in terms of energy efficiency, community and design quality
The development has won several awards including:
- Housing Design Award, 2013 (completed category)
- What House? Awards, 2013. Silver awarded in the "Best Development" category[
- Civic Trust Award, 2014 for Phase 1
- Royal Institute for British Architects (RIBA) Yorkshire Award for sustainability, 2017 for Phase 1
- Royal Institute for British Architects (RIBA) Yorkshire Award for Best Large Residential Development, 2017 for Phase 2
Heating and Hot Water are supplied via a district heating infrastructure – As an early adopter of Fibre to the Home the homes benefit form high speed broadband, VOIP telecoms, satellite and freeview TV options. Energy Efficiency was and still is better than Building Regulations – generally achieving EPC B and those with PVs EPC A. The houses are highly insulated and very airtight with ventilation rates maintained by MVHR or low level background extract ventilation.
House layouts and construction conform to the JRF Lifetime Homes standards – adaptable to changing household needs and disability
Contractor David Wilson Homes - Developer Partner for all housing phases
Completion Date Phase 4 completed in Autumn 2019.
In addition planning permission was approved in July 2019 for additional housing.
Planned remedial work is outstanding on the Derwenthorpe development. For the most up to date information click here